The exterior of your home is your primary defense against the elements. It protects you and your family from the heat, cold, wind, rain, and snow. And just like anything else, it needs to be maintained and cared for properly to do its job. Your home is an investment that should last for years to come. To keep your investment in great shape, follow these home exterior maintenance and care tips.
The Importance of Home Exterior Maintenance and Care
Your home’s exterior is oftentimes the first thing people see when they visit or drive by. It’s also the first thing you see when you come home from a trip or day at work. It’s important to care for it well, as it’s an extension of you and your lifestyle. Here are a few more practical reasons why exterior maintenance is necessary:
- It extends the life of your exterior features: Regular cleaning and upkeep can help extend the life of your home’s siding, paint, roof, windows, and doors. This can save you money in the long run by delaying the need for expensive repairs or replacements.
- It prevents serious problems: Regular exterior maintenance can help prevent serious problems with your home, such as water damage, wood rot, and insect infestations. Catching these problems early can save you time and money down the road.
- It helps maintain energy efficiency: A well-maintained home is also a more energy-efficient home. Caulking and weather-stripping cracks and gaps can help seal in heat in the winter and cool air in the summer, leading to lower energy bills year-round.
Maintaining Your Roof
Your roof is responsible for keeping the elements out and keeping you dry. For general roof maintenance on your own, periodically inspect your roof for signs of damage, and have it repaired or replaced as needed. Be sure to keep gutters and downspouts clean and clear of debris, as this can cause water damage to your roof.
- Check around for missing shingles: If you notice any missing shingles on your roof, replace them as soon as possible. This will help prevent water damage and leaks.
- Ensure all vent covers are in place: All vents should have a cover to help keep water and debris out. Be sure that all vent covers are in place and in good condition.
- Check for any water pooling: If you notice any water pooling on your roof, this could lead to leaks in the future.
Maintaining Your Siding and Exterior of Your House
Your home’s siding and exterior are important parts of its structure and appearance. To keep your home looking its best, maintain these areas:
- Clean the gutters: One of the most important things you can do to maintain your home’s siding and exterior is to keep your gutters clean. Clogged gutters can cause water to back up against the house, which can lead to moisture damage.
- Check that all fascia boards are present: The fascia board is the board that covers the ends of the rafters. Ensure that your home’s fascia boards are in good condition. If any are missing or damaged, they should be replaced as soon as possible.
- Ensure all downspouts are connected: Downspouts that aren’t connected or damaged can cause water to pool around your foundation, leading to serious damage.
- See that all siding boards are fastened and tight: Over time, siding boards can loosen and come away from the house. This can allow moisture and pests to get inside. Ensure that your home’s siding boards are fastened securely.
Window and Door Maintenance
Windows and doors are an important part of your home’s exterior. They can let in natural light and fresh air, but they can also be weak spots in your home’s structural integrity if they’re not properly maintained. Here are some tips for keeping your windows and doors in top condition:
- Clean the windows:
1. Wash the windows with soap and water regularly.
2. In the winter, snow and ice can build up on your windows, so clear them off regularly.
- Power wash around the exterior trim: Use a power washer to clean the exterior trim of your windows and doors. Be careful not to damage the trim with the power washer, though. If you have cracked or chipped paint on the trim, repaint it to protect it from the elements. Or, if your trim and siding is needing to be replaced, consider durable James Hardie siding installation instead.
- Check for any leaks or damage: If you see any damage, especially stucco damage, consider getting an estimate from an exterior renovation contractor in Downingtown, PA to replace it with James Hardie siding.
Stucco and Foundation
Your home’s foundation is the most important aspect of your home’s exterior, especially if your home was built with stucco. When the foundation of your home or your stucco is damaged or compromised, you’ll need to get professional stucco remediation as soon as possible. Simply repairing stucco or foundation will provide a cheaper, temporary solution, but will not solve the problem.
- Check around for any low spots near the home: Water sitting in a low spot can erode the foundation and cause cracks. This may seem like a small detail, but tiny cracks can turn into big cracks quickly and make your home less stable. Check around windows, doorways and where siding meets the foundation. Water can build up here and seep through the gaps causing rot to form.
- Look for any signs of stucco damage: Stucco is a type of siding that is common in many newer homes. It is a cement-like material applied to the outside of the home in a thick layer. Stucco can crack and chip over time, especially if not maintained properly. Cracks in stucco can let water in, which can cause major damage to your home.
What can you do to weatherproof your home?
Weatherproofing is a technique that protects your home from extreme temperatures or moisture. It can prolong the life of your home’s structure by protecting it from water damage, rot, and other weather-related effects. In addition, it can increase the resale value of your home by making it more attractive.
Plan and fix any issues on your property before any extreme climate conditions come. Low temperatures, wind and rain, can cause problems for your home’s structure and cause small issues to become major ones. Have a professional exterior contractor look into the outside areas of your home, and replace roofing or install siding as needed so that you’re prepared for any problems when the weather worsens.
Protect Your Investment With Home Exterior Maintenance and Care
Ensuring your home’s exterior is well-maintained is important for curb appeal and protecting your investment. A little time and effort spent regularly can go a long way in keeping your home looking its best. Create a maintenance schedule that works for you, and don’t hesitate to reach out to professionals when needed. Your beautiful home will thank you!
If you’re looking to invest in new roofing, James Hardie siding, windows, or doors for your home, it’s best to work with a home renovation contractor who understands the options and can recommend what will work best. The right products will limit maintenance and ensure the investment pays off over time. Let the team here at Precision Contracting Services, LLC help you with your renovation needs. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.
Want to learn more about home exterior maintenance and care in PA? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Remodeling Your Luxury Home.