Precision Contracting Services

Is Fiber-Cement Siding Worth the Investment?

fiber cement siding home investment
Most experienced homeowners have a desire to upgrade their homes; it might be to get the house ready to sell, for peripheral benefits like energy savings, or simply for the aesthetic appeal of “something new.” In any case, some upgrades and installations are easily wiser investments than others, and replacing the siding of your home is one of the most cost-effective investments you can make.

Replacing siding isn’t a straightforward deal, however. There are many different types of siding to choose from, and hundreds of styles to consider. Fiber-cement siding, for example, is one of the most popular modern forms of siding, due to its aesthetic appeal and high durability—but compared to vinyl siding, it’s somewhat more expensive. Knowing that siding replacement is one of the highest-ROI strategies you can pursue, are fiber-cement siding products such as Hardieplank worth the extra money?

How Much Does Fiber-Cement Siding Cost?

First, let’s take a look at how much fiber-cement siding actually costs. As you might imagine, that depends on a lot of variables, such as the size and scope of your project, and where you currently live. On average, fiber-cement siding costs about $10 per square foot for the raw materials, and the cost of installation runs in the thousands. Ultimately, depending on the size of your home, you can expect to pay anywhere from a few thousand dollars to $10,000 or more for a project. Compared to vinyl, whose material cost is roughly half of vinyl-cement and whose installation is easier, this seems quite expensive.

Why does it cost so much compared to options like vinyl siding? This is partly motivated by the process of how it’s made, and partly motivated by the degree of difficulty in the installation process. Fiber-cement siding is a specialized blend of different materials, including sand, cement, and cellulose fibers. Fiber-cement siding is especially heavy, so it demands a larger crew for the installation and a more intensive fastening process. It’s also highly difficult to cut, requiring professional expertise and making it more difficult to work with, especially for abnormal or custom projects.

The ROI Factor

Knowing the cost, let’s take a look at some of the practical monetary advantages that fiber-cement siding can offer.

Collectively, these benefits can more than make up for the amount of money you invested in the installation to begin with. Home resale value accounts for 80 percent of the investment alone, and the other four can (under the right conditions) make up for the other 20 percent.

The Bottom Line

Every home is different, and every homeowner will have different goals. For some, like those staying in a house for a long time, fiber-cement siding holds immense practical value and an innate personal appeal, but for others, looking to move in the next few years and hating the look of fiber-cement, another option may be better. For the most part, fiber-cement siding is one of the best types of siding you can buy—both for its practicality and its long-term ROI—but the decision is ultimately up to you.

If you’re interested in learning more about fiber-cement siding, or if you’re ready to get a quote, contact Precision Contracting Services to get started today!

Want to learn more about whole home remodeling in PA? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Remodeling Your Luxury Home.

Exit mobile version