We all want our homes to be a reflection of our style. But sometimes, it can be hard to know where to start. If you’re stuck in a rut, don’t worry—we’ve got you covered. Your curb appeal begins at the foundation and is accentuated by every minor detail. Those minor touches are what will make your home a masterpiece. Here are some of the best exterior design elements that will take your Pennsylvania house from boring to beautiful, including fixtures for both form and function.
Few things can make as big of an impact on your home’s curb appeal as new siding installation. If your home looks a little dated or worse for wear, new siding is a great way to give it a fresh look. And, with the variety of siding materials and styles available today, you can make your home stand out from the rest. Here are four tips if you decide to replace your home’s siding:
- Replace any stucco with James Hardie Siding: If your home has any stucco, you should consider a stucco remediation service and completely replace it with James Hardie siding. Stucco is a very porous material that absorbs water, leading to problems like wood rot and mold growth. James Hardie siding is much more durable and weather-resistant, so it will better protect your home from the elements. Also, be sure to work with a James Hardie certified installer, as they are specially trained on all James Hardie materials.
- Consider mixing and matching siding styles: If you want your home to have a unique look, consider mixing and matching different siding styles. For example, you could use Staggered Edge Paneling for the bottom half of your home and Standard Lap Siding for the top half. This will give your home a one-of-a-kind look that will turn heads.
- Add stone or other materials to break up the siding: If you want to add visual interest to your home’s exterior, consider adding stone or another material to break up the siding. This will create a unique look that will make your home stand out.
- Choose a color that complements your home’s trim: When choosing a color for your new siding, pick one that complements your home’s trim. This will create an appealing and cohesive look.
New window installation can improve any style of home and is a great investment. Every window is unique, adding style, character and value to your home. A few simple changes can give a dull exterior the upgrade it needs.
Installing new windows is also a popular way to make your home more energy-efficient. This reduces the cost of heating and cooling and protects against UV rays.
Here are some common window styles to choose from:
- Casement: Casement windows are attached to the house by one or more hinges. Usually, home renovation contractors install casement windows above or below stationary windows. They provide good air circulation, as well as functional ventilation. They are also beautifully designed.
- Double-Hung: One of the most popular window styles, double-hung windows have two sashes that slide up and down to open and close the window. The bottom sash is usually larger than the top sash. Both sashes can be tilted in for easy cleaning from inside your home.
- Bay Windows: Bay windows are usually composed of a large central window with two smaller windows on either side. Bow windows are similar to bay windows but have four equal-sized windows. Bay windows are a great way to let in natural light and create the illusion of more space in your home.
- Transom: Transom windows are small, decorative windows often placed above doors or other windows. They can be stationary or operational and are a great way to add light and ventilation to your home.
- Architectural Windows: Architectural windows are unique, often custom-made windows that add character and style to your home. They come in various shapes and sizes and can create a focal point in your home.
Trim Work and Exterior Design Elements
Trim work is one of the most important design elements in making your home look its best. It can add visual interest and contrast. When done right, trim work can help make your home’s exterior design even more attractive. Trim work is a great way to add depth and interest to your home’s facade. It can also highlight features you want to draw attention to, like windows or doors.
There are a lot of different styles of trim work that you can choose from, so you can always find something that fits with the overall look you’re going for. You can do something simple, like adding decorative molding around your windows or you could do something more elaborate, like adding pediment over your front door.
Your roof is also important when it comes to making your home stand out from the rest. The roof is one of your home’s most important exterior design elements and can make or break your home’ final look. There are so many different roofing materials and styles to choose from, so it’s important to research and find the right one for your home.
- Metal Roofing: Metal roofing is a popular choice for those looking for a unique and stylish roof. It’s also a great choice if you’re looking for a roof that will last a long time. These panels are versatile, and because of that, they can be used in many different applications, including pre-painted vertical panels with a wide variety of styles and colors, standing seam, metal tiles, metal shingles, and copper roofing.
- Asphalt Shingles: Asphalt shingles are the most common type of roofing material. They’re affordable, easy to install, and come in various colors. Asphalt shingles are a good choice for those who want a basic roof that will still look good.
- Synthetic Slate Shingles: Synthetic slate shingles are a popular choice for those looking for the look of slate without the high price tag. These shingles, made from recycled rubber and plastic, look like real slate. They’re also very durable and easy to install.
- Cedar Shake Roofing: Cedar shake roofing is popular for homeowners who want a rustic style. Cedar shake shingles, made from real cedar wood, are available in a variety of colors. Cedar is a natural, tough wood that resists the harmful effects of elements like insects, UV rays, and decay.
- EPDM Flat Roofing: For a commercial or industrial building, you should consider flat roofing. EPDM is a durable, synthetic rubber that will withstand the elements. It’s also easy to install, making it a good choice for those who don’t want to hire a professional installation team.
Your front door is the first thing guests see, so make a good impression by choosing a beautiful statement piece. There are many different styles of doors to choose from, so find one that fits your home’s overall look. If you have a traditional home, go for a classic wood door. For a modern look, choose a steel or glass door.
There are also many different ways to dress up your door with hardware. Choose a style that complements the rest of your home’s hardware, doorknobs, locks, and house numbers. To make your door stand out, you can add decorative elements, like wreaths or planters.
- Front door: When looking to improve your home’s curb appeal, sometimes it can be as easy as choosing the right door style. Add some style to your front entrance with a big window or unique design. It will have a major impact on the noticeability of your home.
- Garage doors: Upgrade your garage door with new hardware or panels. Adding some extra style to your home is easy without breaking the bank. You can bring a little flair to your garage door with paneling and windows. Try double-bay windows for a unique shape and style.
Patios, Porches, Porticos, and Decks
Have you been considering making changes to your home? Perhaps you’ve outgrown it, or you’re finding it more and more difficult to manage, then look no further than your patio, porch, portico, or deck. These outdoor living spaces are the perfect place to add an extra flair to your home’s design.
Whether you’re looking to add a new patio furniture set, install some beautiful new landscaping, or just spruce up your existing outdoor space, these design elements will help take your home’s curb appeal to the next level. You can also include other features that will make the area brighter, such as outdoor lighting.
Outdoor fixtures can greatly impact the overall style and design of a home. Small changes to these fixtures, like adding an accent color or changing one element, will notably affect the home’s visual appeal.
Schedule a Consultation With Precision Contracting Services for An Exquisite Exterior
When designing your exterior space, several considerations can take your home from drab to fabulous. There are plenty of exterior design elements to choose from, but it is important to consider the overall style of your home and which one suits your lifestyle best. At Precision Contracting Services, LLC, in Downingtown, PA, we’re dedicated to helping homeowners renovate their luxury home into the house of their dreams, guaranteeing 100% impenetrable exteriors and exquisite design and execution, down to the last nail. Schedule a consultation with the best home renovation contractors in Pennsylvania to get started!
Want to learn more about whole home remodeling in PA? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Remodeling Your Luxury Home.